Just about everyone had spied the night time garden dwellers, the hedgehogs, except for me. I had gone looking for them around 9:30-10:00 p.m., but never was able to spot one. Everyone in the group who had seen one or more gave me hints: they seem to live in the woods near the Mensa, they freeze when you come upon them, and most importantly, they only come out late at night (i.e., past my bed time). Yesterday evening, I went in search later than I ever had--at 11:30 p.m., heading directly for the Mensa. Sure enough, as soon as I started to walk along the sidewalk between the woods and the Mensa, I quickly located this little critter. He froze when I started to talk to him, bushing up and spreading out his quill-like covering so that he would look as fierce as possible. Their quills are meant for defense purposes so that local dogs don't bother them. In the US, we only see them as small house pets.
Friday, August 22, 2008
Night Life--the "Igel" Population
Just about everyone had spied the night time garden dwellers, the hedgehogs, except for me. I had gone looking for them around 9:30-10:00 p.m., but never was able to spot one. Everyone in the group who had seen one or more gave me hints: they seem to live in the woods near the Mensa, they freeze when you come upon them, and most importantly, they only come out late at night (i.e., past my bed time). Yesterday evening, I went in search later than I ever had--at 11:30 p.m., heading directly for the Mensa. Sure enough, as soon as I started to walk along the sidewalk between the woods and the Mensa, I quickly located this little critter. He froze when I started to talk to him, bushing up and spreading out his quill-like covering so that he would look as fierce as possible. Their quills are meant for defense purposes so that local dogs don't bother them. In the US, we only see them as small house pets.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment